2022/06/08

Split Complimentary


Hi everyone, I'm here to share with you a Mixed media 'Junk Journal' project that for our current 'Split Complimentary' colour wheel topic by PaperArtsy blog.

Rather than mix up the colours suggested in the colour-wheel above, I decided to choose existing colours from the PaperArtsy Fresco range that were similar but a bit deeper in tone. To Prawn I added Sour Grapes and Niagara Falls to represent the split complementary concept.

The first thing I did was to decide on the paint colors for my color wheel theme, and I chose these three colors for me. My main color was PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Chalk Acrylic - Niagara Falls (FF205), and with it's split complimentary colors being Sour Grapes (FF) and Prawn (FF98). 
When I saw Jo's stamps, I had the idea to make the junk journal using fabric. Today I wanted to make a junk journal incorporating fabric and see how this color wheel might change if the same color and different materials were used.





I painted the fabric to see how the colors would look also I used gauze fabric that the print would look soft colours and the fabric would not become stiff after printing. Using JoFY set 113,114 (JoFY113, 114 ) and JoFY Mini JM54. Paints- PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Chalk Acrylic - Niagara Falls (FF205), Sour Grapes (FF115), Prawn (FF98) and Snowflake (FF15). One of the 'Split Complimentary' colors nominated is a little yellowish on the Prawn, but the gauze is coarse and the color will be lighter when printed, so the Prawn was used as is.



On a heat mat, the paints were spread thinly with a palette knife and stamped onto each piece of cloth, and some cloth was dipped in paint diluted with water, dyed, and allowed to dry. As you can see in the photos, some of the colors do not resemble the color wheel, but in reality they are almost the same, but the colors in the photos change depending on the location and time of the subject, which is really difficult.



I wanted to use the large flower in JoFY114 as a focal point on the cover, so I stamped Niagara Falls for the main color, smoky green, using a large flower, and over that I used Sara nauman set 61 ESN61 in Ranger Archival Cornflower Blue.


The printed fabric was used for the petals, stitched and cut around the petals using an embroidery frame to create the focal point of the front cover, and other printed fabrics were patched to create the background. I added the sentiment of Jofy113.


On the spine, I made tassels from leftover fabric and used them as decorations.


Now, here's page one is the window, with a small JoFY114 flower printed on acetate with StazOn Pigment Snowflake, a small hole punched in the lace page, and glued from the back with Tacky Glue. --I mostly use Tacky Glue.




PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Chalk Acrylic- Snowflake (FF15) and Niagara Falls (FF205) painted through PaperArtsy Stencil by JoFY (PS250) on raw fabric. I used a raw, fine-grained fabric here to directly paint the tulip on JoFY113. For the brush painted tulip, I used Mustard Pickle (FF148) for lighting in the three basic colors.



I made a frame by placing a piece of fabric dyed in Niagara Falls underneath the painted tulips, and stitched a small flower from JoFY114 on the background of the page.


The small page inside was made of paper clay with joFY114 stamped on it to look like a seashell specimen, finger-painted in three colors, and finished with gold wax.



I embroidered JoFY113 tulip on this page, although I did not use three colors.


I also wanted a page with a pocket, so I made a pocket to put a tag in.


I printed Snowflake and Niagar Falls on leftover paper through PaperArtsy Stencil by JoFY (PS136 and PS250) to create a background and printed JoFY113 on the book page and colored it.


I colored the raw linen with Prawn and Snowflake and stitched around it. I thought that the color drawn with Prawn on the base of this linen was close to the complementary color.



I painted the two colors of flowers used for the page in the photo below.



Finally, I made a patchwork page using the main color and the two split complementary color prints. Each cloth was Sashiko with the same type of embroidery thread, and the seams are embroidered to give a little depth to the printed I then decide on the pattern to be placed in the rectangle. The flower made in the previous photo is cut with a thin cotton for quilting on the back and sewn to make it a little fuller. Lastly, JoFY113 sentiment was embossed in black powder on a white painted cloth, cut and sewn then finished pages.




I used JoFY114 and ESN61 for the front and back covers and simply made it the main color Niagara Falls. 


This slightly smoky colour wheel was a combination of colours that I rarely use, but it was a lot of fun with this project and I wanted to continue exploring this further it. Please share with us for your creations using these color wheel on PaperArtsy Instagram or in the Facebook Group 'PaperArtsy People'.

Thank you so much for visiting here.
Etsuko xxx
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank so much for taking the time to stop by. Your lovely comments make my day and so much appreciated. Etsuko xxx